ISAF and 420 Class join forces in Mozambique for Emerging Nations Clinic
Over 40 young sailors and coaches from eight African countries are in Maputo, Mozambique to participate in the African regional performance clinic of the 2015 ISAF Youth Worlds Emerging Nations Program (ENP).
All participants have been nominated by their National Sailing Federation to take part in the seven day clinic that is being delivered at Club Maritimo, Maputo between 16-22 May.
This regional performance clinic is hosted by the Federação Moçambicana de la Vela e Canoagem and is the third of five regional training programs to be delivered in the build-up to the ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships taking place in Langkawi, Malaysia in December 2015.
Over 50 nations are expected to benefit from attending the five regional clinics.
Joining Mozambique participants will be sailors and coaches from Tanzania, Angola, Seychelles, Algeria, Tunisia, Sudan and Egypt.
Two ISAF Nominated Experts and a 420 class-specific coach, António Gois, who is the Portuguese 420 National Coach, are responsible for the day-to-day delivery of the theoretical / practical programme as well as a dedicated ISAF media team who will spend the four days covering all of the activity in Mozambique will be present. The 'supported classes' of equipment are the Laser Radial and 420.
The next Emerging Nations Clinic for sailors in the International 420 Class is:
Langkawi, Malaysia - 24 to 30 October - 420 Class appointed coach to be appointed
Follow and get involved with the YW ENP clinics by using the #YouthSailing hashtag on Twitter and Instagram.
The aims of the ISAF Youth Worlds Emerging Nations Programme are:
- to help 'Narrow the performance gap' between nations attending the ISAF Youth Worlds through the provision of pre-event training opportunities for sailors and coaches;
- for ISAF to actively engage with ISAF Member National Authorities (MNAs), encouraging a greater attendance of nations at the ISAF Youth Worlds;
- to enable ISAF Member National Authorities (MNAs) access to a 'development pathway' for young sailors and their coaches, linking the YW ENP to similar projects being developed for the 2018 ISAF World Championships;
- to provide ISAF MNAs with the opportunities to benefit from further development support through IOC Olympic Solidarity funded programmes;
- to empower ISAF MNAs to develop national sail training programmes which will enable independent, un-subsidised attendance at future Youth Worlds events.
All sailors that complete the training program at their regional clinic will then be eligible for subsequent applications that can be made by their MNAs for 'ENP Scholarships'.
The successful recipients of these scholarships will receive additional subsidies from ISAF for travel costs, registration fees and boat charter related to attendance at the Youth Worlds event in Langkawi, Malaysia.
Full details of the Emerging Nations Program as well as all other information on the ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships can be found here www.isafyouthworlds.com
A full list of YW ENP videos including interviews with all sailors and coaches involved will be added to our dedicated ISAF TV channel here www.youtube.com/isafchannel
Further updates from all of the 2015 YW ENP clinics are available through our Facebook pages here www.facebook.com/ISAFWorldSailing and www.facebook.com/ISAFDevelopment as well as our dedicated Youth Worlds page here www.facebook.com/ISAFYouthWorlds