NO WIND STOPS PLAY ON RACE DAY 2 AT 420 WORLDS
The Race Committee played a waiting game until 1430 hours on race day 2 at the 420 Worlds, Newport, Rhode Island, USA, before making the call that there would be no racing for the day.
Saturday’s race day 2 dawned with rain and very little wind. As the rain eased, there was hope the wind would fill in, but it was a non-starter.
Instead, teams chilled out in the boat park, played cards, showed off their dance skills and hoped for breeze.
Overnights standings from race day 1 remain, and racing will resume on Sunday 12 August 2018. Three races are scheduled for all fleets with warning signal at 1155 for the 420 Open Yellow, then Open Blue, Women and U17.
After racing on Sunday, teams will get a great opportunity to hear from some of the USA's top sailing stars about their journey in elite sailing. Cory Sertl, Rome Kirby, Nick Dana and Meg Myles will share insights on how they made it to the top of their game across America's Cup, Olympic, Ocean Race and Pro Sailing.
On Saturday evening the annual General Assembly Meeting of the 420 Class took place - and a report to follow.
420 Open - Top 10 after 2 Races
1. Alessandro CALDARI/Federico CALDARI (ITA 56159) - 4 pts
2. Luis Miguel HERNÁNDEZ TIRADO/Ignacio BALAGUER GALBIS (ESP 56580) - 6 pts
3. Seb MENZIES/Blake MCGLASHAN (NZL 56674) - 7 pts
4. Otto HENRY/Thomas LARKINGS (AUS 56447) - 7 pts
5. Ian GARRETA/Julien BUNEL (FRA 55910) - 8 pts
6. Martín WIZNER PÉREZ-LAFUENTE/Pedro Ramón AMENEIRO AMEZAGA (ESP 55163) - 8 pts
7. Dylan ASCENCIOS/William GEORGE (USA 55917) - 10 pts
8. Eleanor KEERS/Aaron CHADWICK (GBR 56339) - 10 pts
9. Tommaso CILLI/Francisco MOURÃO (ITA 56570) - 13 pts
10. Francisco MOURÃO/ (POR 55328) - 13 pts
420 Women - Top 10 after 2 Races
1. Clara OLIVE/Solenza MARIANI (FRA 56376) - 5 pts
2. Patricia REINO CACHO/Isabel LAISECA BUENO (ESP 56490) - 6 pts
3. Lilou RUAT/Alice CHIAPPORI (FRA 55881) - 10 pts
4. Violette DORANGE/Camille ORION (FRA 56277) - 16 pts
5. Michelle LAHRKAMP/Gabriella DEL BELLO (USA 56079) - 16 pts
6. Lucille FRASCARI/Arianna LANZETTA (ITA 56373) - 18 pts
7. Laura AKRICH VAZQUEZ/Clara LLABRÉS RIVAL (ESP 56260) - 22 pts
8. Carmen COWLES/Emma COWLES (USA 56365) - 22 pts
9. Hannah FREEMAN/Jana LAURENDEAU (USA 56109) - 23 pts
10. María CABA HERNÁNDEZ/Pilar CABA HERNÁNDEZ (ESP 56575) - 24 pts
420 U17 - Top 10 after 2 Races
1. Marina GARAU BOSCH/Blanca CABOT SANCHO (ESP 56391) - 6 pts
2. Jacobo GARCÍA GARCÍA/Antoni RIPOLL GONZÁLEZ (ESP 56196) - 8 pts
3. Oliver HURWITZ/Ethan FROELICH (USA 56266) - 15 pts
4. Justin CALLAHAN/Mitchell CALLAHAN (USA 55620) - 15 pts
5. Melina PAPPA/Maria TSAMOPOULOU (GRE 56340) - 17 pts
6. Paula VAN WIERINGEN MASSANET/María Del Mar GIL ROIG (ESP 56417) - 17 pts
7. Patroklos MANDILARIS/Vissarion PAPPAS (GRE 55237) - 20 pts
8. Sebastián RIQUELME BECKMANN/Miquel PÉREZ CARBÓ (ESP 56385) - 21 pts
9. Odysseas SPANAKIS/Konstantinos MIXALOPOULOS (GRE 54484) - 25 pts
10. Manuel RAMOS/Martim MASTBAUM (POR 56183) - 25 pts
HOW TO FOLLOW
Follow the 420 World Championship via our daily reports, photos, video and 420 Class Championship APP.
Championship Website: 2018worlds.420sailing.org
Photo Service – Daily photo galleries will be provide in high and low resolution on a daily basis free of rights for editorial use only. Team photo requests for editorial use should be made to: email@example.com
All images used should include the official photograph credit as per the photo.
Championship APP - the 420 Class is running a Championship APP for the 2018 420 World Championship so you can keep up to date with all the racing action from your favourite sailors wherever you are
Video and Photos – daily videos and photos will be produced for social media and websites, which will be available on the Championship website and 420 Class social media.
Social – you can follow the 420 World Championship on:
Championship website - 2018worlds.420sailing.org
420 on Facebook - www.facebook.com/International420ClassAssociation
420 on Twitter - twitter.com/420class
420 on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/Int420Dinghy
Get social using #420Worlds #420Class
About the 2018 420 World, Women’s World and U17 World Championships
The 2018 420 World, Women’s World and U17 World Championships, 7-15 August 2018, is hosted at Sail Newport, Rhode Island, USA. 336 sailors from 18 nations are competing, with 71 boats in the Open fleet, 53 in the Women and 44 in the U17. The 420 Open teams are split into two fleets for a 6 race qualification series and 6 race final series, with a single race discard coming into play after race three. Teams contesting the Women and U17 World Championships race a single series of 12 races, with a single race discard after race three.
Nations competing: Australia, Canada, Chile, France, Great Britain, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, USA and US Virgin Islands.
About the International 420 Class Association
The 420 is an established worldwide performance two-person trapeze and spinnaker racing dinghy which holds status as an International Class and Learn-to-Sail boat.
A performance two-person spinnaker racing dinghy for youth, the 420 has been selected as the youth development class in over 45 nations around the world. The 420 is an important choice to develop sailing and sailors’ skills in strategy, tactics, boat handling, tuning and technique and is very accessible, demanding skills easily obtained by sailors in developing nations.
The 420 Class has trained many of the world’s best sailors and is a proven transition class, whatever your next step in sailing ... dinghy or multihull ... keelboat or skiff ... www.420sailing.org