DEVELOPMENT 2020 420 Class Development Programme
2020 420 Class Development Programme
Building on the success of past 420 Development Programmes, 2020 is shaping up to be another packed year of activity and promotional actions to support the ongoing development of the 420 Class around the world.
The International 420 Class Association is pleased to announce our programme of clinics, support programmes, knowledge toolkits, training centre certification and promotional activities for 2020.
Coaches and Sailors Clinics - the 420 Class plans to organize clinics for coaches and sailors in five continents. We are analyzing and thinking about the following possibilities for venues, taking into consideration their needs.
- Europe – Belarus, Serbia, Romania (maximum 2)
- Africa – Angola, Mozambique, Tunisia (maximum 1)
- Asia – China, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand (maximum 2)
- Americas – Colombia, Ecuador, USA (maximum 2)
- Oceania – to be advised (maximum 1)
420 & 470 Combined Event - Junior European Championship - the 420 Class will appoint a coach to follow racing on the water and run daily debriefs at the Junior European Championship.
Partnership with the Optimist Class - the 420 Class will once again head to Fraglia de la Vela Riva, Lake Garda, Italy for the iconic Easter Optimist Meeting. Attended by a significant number of Optimist sailors and parents from all over the world, the event is a great opportunity to introduce the 420 Class to future generations. Take a read of our 2019 report. As previous years, we will be present with a fully rigged 420, handing out promotional material to the young sailors and introducing the boat.
‘Have a Go’ for sailors at Optimist Worlds or Continentals - building on the established relationship with the International Optimist Class (IODA), the 420 Class will organize at least two similar promotional actions at Optimist Class Championships, with a fully rigged 420 at the venue and ‘have a go’ opportunities’ to sail the boat.
Free attendance at 420 Clinics for Optimist Coaches - every year, the 420 Class runs Coaches and Sailors clinics around the world, which are entirely free to participants. We will guarantee participation opportunities to Optimist coaches in order to share essential knowledge about the 420 Class and support Optimist coaches in introducing the 420 as the next stage in an Optimist sailor’s pathway.
Recognition of 420 Sailing Centres - the 420 Class will launch its new 420 Sailing Centres, which will be recognized as providing specific standards in the delivery of 420 training and provision of facilities.
World Sailing Emerging Nations Programme - the 420 Class will continue to support the funding of an expert 420 Class coach at the Youth Sailing World Championship. As in previous years, the I420CA is prepared to send to the World Sailing Youth World Championship, an expert coach to support the 420 participants in general and the ENP 420 participants in particular:
- Following up two or three clinics, we will invite the best teams of this countries to take part in the World Sailing Youth World Championship in Salvador, Brazil and in one of our Class major events;
- Creation of an ENP fund to help countries wanting to develop the 420 Class;
420 Tuning Live Video - for many years, the 420 Class has taken significant steps to deliver toolkits to give 420 sailors and coaches the skills they need to get out on the water and improve their sailing. We are committed to enabling self-sufficiency and providing easy access to training information. Our latest project is the 420 Class Tuning Guide. Aimed at newcomers to the 420, this free online video will accelerate learning through this video masterclass showing you all you need to know about rigging your 420 and tuning on the water. Coming soon …. watch this space in early 2020.
420 EUROSAF Race Circuit - in partnership with the European Sailing Federation (EUROSAF) the 420 Class created the EUROSAF 420 Race Circuit in 2018-2019, and after phenomenal success in its debut year the circuit has been expanded for 2019-2020. Click here to find out more.
Promotional Material - a range of promotional items will be available to help showcase and promote the 420 Class:
- Neck Puffs (various colors)
- Caps and Visors
- Various gadgets
In the meantime, check out our …
- Brand new 420 PROMOTIONAL VIDEO telling the story of why the 420 is the world’s most popular two-person youth dinghy
- 420 TO THE MAX video, introducing a range of specific techniques and demonstration of how to master them in different wind and sea conditions. Available in English, French, Spanish, German and Japanese, 420 TO THE MAX has racked up in excess of 360,000 views on YouTube alone.
- Don't miss our 420 EXERCISE E-BOOK which showcases world class training techniques and strategies on Performance Improvement for Coaches and Sailors. The online e-book introduces a selection of carefully chosen exercises, with accompanying video and commentary, to provide a step by step path towards skills improvement.